Restructuring institutional reform and the rights of people with disabilities
UPDATED: APR 5, 2021
The City of Raleigh’s Fair Housing Hearing Board, and the Fair Housing Project of Legal Aid of North Carolina are hosting the 18th Annual Raleigh Fair Housing Conference on April 23, 2021. The confirmed keynote speaker is Lisa Rice, President, and CEO, National Fair Housing Alliance.
This regional event is a collaboration and partnership with residents, thought leaders, experts on civil and human rights, housing, lending, education, transportation, health, environmental justice, and community development to examine achievements and opportunities under the Fair Housing Act. Current fair housing trends and topics will be presented and discussed.
This year’s theme is “Restructuring Institutional Reform and the Rights of People with Disabilities.” Session topics will include:
- Renting with a Criminal History: Using Fair Housing Law and Advocacy to Challenge Housing Discrimination
- Emerging Issues in Disability Rights Law
Event and Registration Information
When: Friday, April 23, 2021
Where: Virtual Conference
When: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Registration is free and open to the public, but space is limited. You must be 18 years or older and pre-register to attend. Please click here to register!
9:00 – 9:10: Welcome
- Sondra Collins, Chairperson, Raleigh Fair Housing Hearing Board
- Jeff Dillman, Co-Director, Fair Housing Project, Legal Aid of North Carolina
9:10 – 10:15: “Renting with a Criminal History: Using Fair Housing Law and Advocacy to Challenge Housing Discrimination”
- Moderator: Wanda Gilbert-Coker, Raleigh Fair Housing Hearing Board
- Dawn Blagrove, Executive Director, Emancipate NC
- Quisha Mallette, Staff Attorney, Fair Chance Project, NC Justice Center
- Kerwin Pittman, Community Activist and Field Director, Emancipate NC
10:15 – 10:25: Break
10:25 – 11:30: “Emerging Issues in Disability Rights Law”
- Collin Bober, Raleigh Fair Housing Hearing Board
- Wanda Allen-Abraha, Director, Human Relations Dept., City of Winston Salem
- Steve Dane, Attorney, Dane Law, LLC
- Scheree Gilchrist, Managing Attorney, Helpline, Legal Aid of North Carolina
11:30 – 11:50: Awards
11:50 – 12:00: Break
12:00 – 12:30: Keynote Speaker
- Lisa Rice, President, and CEO, National Fair Housing Alliance
12:30 – 12:40: Closing remarks
- Chalisa Williams, Vice Chair, Raleigh Fair Housing Hearing Board
- Jack Holtzman, Co-Director, Fair Housing Project, Legal Aid of North Carolina
This conference is funded in part through a grant under the Fair Housing Initiatives Program with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Raleigh Fair Housing Hearing Board’s mission is to provide education, outreach and awareness of laws against discrimination in housing opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, or disabilities.
Keynote Speaker: Lisa Rice
As President and CEO of the National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA), Lisa Rice leads efforts by NFHA and its partners to advance fair housing principles and to preserve and broaden fair housing protections, expanding equal housing opportunities for millions of Americans.
Ms. Rice played a major role in crafting sections of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act and in establishing the Office of Fair Lending within the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Prior to becoming President and CEO, she served as NFHA’s Executive Vice President and managed the organization’s resource development, public policy, communications, and enforcement divisions.
Ms. Rice is a member of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights Board of Directors, Center for Responsible Lending Board of Directors, JPMorgan Chase Consumer Advisory Council, Mortgage Bankers Association’s Consumer Advisory Council, Freddie Mac Affordable Housing Advisory Council, Urban Institute’s Mortgage Servicing Collaborative, and Quicken Loans Consumer Advisory Forum.